Reflecting on one of this week’s readings, A guide to making open textbooks with students I noted a few parts that particularly stuck out to me. “Disposable assignments” was the defining term, or rather juxtaposition, to what would come to help myself understand what Open Pedagogy and Open Educational Practices (OEP) are (Mays, 2019).

Open Pedagogy and OEP

Open Pedagogy and OEP focuses on ensuring learners can not only direct their personal learning, but also the knowledge bases that they derive their learning from (Mays, 2019). This should allow learners to better direct or choose their own paths, as well as further engage with the greater community as one integral part among others. In contrast of creating “disposable assignments”, learners should contribute publicly or to a knowledge base their work, findings, and observations, which I picture as a far more progressive and beneficial method (Mays, 2019). Not only does this encourage more purposeful work, but it also opens ourselves to discussion, criticism, and constructive to whatever audience we choose.

An example of an assignment I felt was particularly “disposable” was an English Paper I wrote in my first year of university. I ended up writing on Diocletian and the Tetrarchy system during the later years of the Roman Empire, a topic that I chose almost at random but started a tiny pet passion for ancient history. I’m certain that only myself and my professor read those 8-pages on Diocletian and contemporary Roman political and social woes. If I had an open learning network or approach to the assignment, perhaps I could’ve discussed further the topic or my interest in it. I had eventually online discussion (in what would be more akin to a Personal Learning Network) on the Internet. Perhaps if I had an open learning platform or course, I would’ve earlier engaged with others on Ancient Roman history.

Overall Reflection on Past Learning Experiences

Personally, I feel that a significant part of my learning experiences has been conducted through so-called “disposable assignments” – work that I would hardly look back on or take much pride on. However, I don’t always believe these “disposables” are always meaningless, as they can help promote studying habits, scheduling, and perhaps a too accepting… acceptance of the various standardized testing systems I’ve encountered. I cannot deny that there has been undeniable pride and sense of personal accomplishment when I received a satisfactory grade from a multiple choice or heavily knowledge based test. Yet having Open Pedagogy and OEPs is important as we commit (and pay) to attain – knowledge and learning. Simply having high grades and marks do indicate constructive learning and knowledge.

Barriers to Education

Beyond being an exercise in promoting meaningful and self-improving learning, I feel that an OEP focus also contrasts with that of the commonly perceived exclusivity and ‘eliteness’ of higher education. Knowledge and learning, as well as the associated titles and social value we assign with it, has historically been protected by social elites both knowingly and unknowingly from others. Natural and deliberate social barriers have always existed that prevent access to valuable learning resources (e.g. textbooks, tutors). Stratification of education has been a constant for a variety of sociological reasons, though many, particularly those in the ‘higher’ strata, may find it difficult to acknowledge the privilege or advantages they have (Misra, 1997).

On the other hand, relatively recent advancements and changes to education, such as standardized testing, has allowed for merit-based achievement and distinguishing of persons that would be beneficial in certain role within our society. A meritocratic approach to education may seem on-paper the most rational decision for individuals and society as a whole, but also limiting and archaic in the Western post-modern, individualistic yet egalitarian society. Almost paradoxically, I feel that OEP can offer more people the opportunity to learn, while also enabling a measure of directed individuality that may be missing from traditional learning environments.

Open Pedagogy can offer more learners the opportunity to learn in the direction they want to succeed, rather than just learning as a means for success. Regardless, learning and its environments are constantly evolving, and rethinking education in a hybrid models of both achieving principles of higher education and generating instrumental contributors of society are necessary considerations for an effective and fair system (Kromydas, 2017).

A Conclusion

To conclude my thoughts, I want to ask a question that can be approached from a multitude of perspectives and intentions. In asking ourselves this question we should reflect on the necessity of education as an instrument for attaining work abilities, the barriers that exist in accessing education, and the somewhat aloof purpose and ever-elusive end goals of higher education.

Do we learn to live, or do we live to learn?

Kromydas, T. Rethinking higher education and its relationship with social inequalities: past knowledge, present state and future potential. Palgrave Commun 3, 1 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-017-0001-8

Mays, E. (Ed.). (2017). A guide to making open textbooks with students. Rebus Community.

MISRA, J. (1997). Teaching stratification: Stimulating interest and critical thinking through research projects. Teaching Sociology, 25(4), 278-291. https://doi.org/10.2307/1319296